New network to ease legacy traffic migration, reduce operational costs and improve reliability
HANOVER, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) technology will be deployed by Telefónica UK to migrate legacy traffic onto a new packet network capable of supporting 5G, IoT and other next-generation applications. This upgrade will help Telefónica UK introduce innovative network automation capabilities and obtain greater control of its network, which provides more than 34.8 million connections.
- Ciena’s technology will enable Telefónica UK to move its legacy Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) infrastructure to a next-generation Adaptive IP network, better positioning the service provider to address customer needs and support the growing digital economy.
- As part of the deployment Ciena Services and the 6500 Packet Transport System (PTS) will be leveraged to migrate Telefónica UK’s legacy TDM traffic to a modern packet network. Ciena’s 6500 PTS will allow Telefónica UK to continue supporting remaining TDM customers while also addressing new, high-growth applications across a single, converged packet-based transport network.
- In addition, Ciena’s Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) domain controller will give Telefónica UK real-time visibility into its network to proactively identify and prevent potential issues.
“As a customer-led organization we remain committed to understanding and fulfilling our customers real-time needs. The upcoming integration of our legacy traffic into a new platform is a demonstration of how we work to continuously improve our customers’ connectivity experience. Migrating to a modernized network capable of automated services is absolutely necessary as we continue to develop 5G and IoT applications.”
– Jorge Ribeiro, Head of Infrastructure, Telefónica UK
“Providing reliable and seemingly endless bandwidth should not be hindered by the cost and complexity of managing legacy TDM networks. Our solution streamlines the migration process and also homogenizes Telefónica UK’s legacy services and its network approach to deliver 5G and IoT services.”
– Rodolfo Vigliano, Senior Managing Director of Sales, Ciena
About Telefónica UK / O2
O2 is a mobile network operator and the principal commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited, which is part of the global telecommunications group Telefónica S.A, headquartered in Spain and operating in Europe, and North, Central and South America.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our customers create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Shannon N. Booker
+1 (410) 694-5761
+1 (410) 694-5700